‘Spiderman – No Way Home’, Is It Worth It?

*Spoilers Ahead*

The new Marvel Cinematic Universe movie, ‘Spiderman – No Way Home’ finally arrived at theaters on December 17, 2021. The movie earned its name as the ‘New Endgame,’ but does it really live up to fulfill the expectations? 

The movie is first set at the start of senior year for Peter Parker (Tom Holland), MJ (Zendaya), and Ned (Jacob Batalon). From last year’s events with Mysterio, Peter Parker is left with his identity revealed. 

He is known now as ‘Public Enemy #1’, New York City is against him, and from what he feels, the world is against him. Bricks are thrown, signs are shown and words are hurled at him faster than he can comprehend. Peter and his Aunt May (Marisa Tomei) move to the safety of Happy Hogan’s (Jon Favreau) condominium. 

The start of the movie moves quickly. Buckets of information are thrown onto you, the writers allowed everything to fall into place perfectly. Peter comes to the conclusion that his identity being released is not only jeopardizing his life but the people around him too. 

Within the first 30 minutes, the writers brilliantly introduce the main conflict quickly but not in a confusing manner. 

Throughout the movie, the cinema experience was outstanding. Before I saw the movie, online hype told me how the cinema experience is nothing like watching another movie. I can prove this statement is true. 

No Way Home provided the audience with thrilling components all throughout the movie to either leave us speechless or screaming. Many times throughout the movie, people were yelling at the screen. Everyone had the same energy as when ‘Endgame’ was seen for the first time back in 2019. 

The quality of the filming was amazing, from the green screening to the backdrop and editing. Everything was up to exceed past standards, nothing seemed out of proportion. 

No Way Home brilliantly interprets characters from each Spiderman movie. Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield both make an appearance in the movie, leaving the audience screaming.

But not only do our favourite Spidermen show up, but their villains also do too. William Dafoe returns as the Green Goblin, Jamie Foxx as Electro, Alfred Molina as Dr Otto Octavias, and ​​Thomas Haden Church as Sandman. 

Somehow, No Way Home not only is an outstanding movie by itself, but it also manages to make Tobey Maguire’s and Andrew Garfield’s Spiderman movies better. I found myself going back to rewatch all of Tobey Maguire’s and Andrew Garfield’s movies again, and enjoying them more. 

I personally enjoyed how the writers gave Peter choices and things to sacrifice. The writers could have given Doctor Strange (Benedict Cumberbatch) a happy ending spell, but in the end, Peter has to make real sacrifices that impact his life greatly. 

The Three Spidermans (Ana Dumaraog of ScreenRant)

Heroically, Peter saves the world. On the other hand, his life turns into disarray. From the traumatic events of losing Aunt May, MJ, Ned and Happy were all he really had left, but for the better good of the world, he made the selfless decision to sacrifice them too. 

Not only do the writers provide Peter with a story and a mission to lead into the next Spiderman movie, but they also allow the audience to attempt to be empathetic with Peter. 

I was moved when not only seeing all three of the Spidermans together, but them relating to each other’s losses. The sense of togetherness that is fostered through empathy and bonding over similar experiences of loss is moving. I especially loved when the two older Spidermans gave young Peter Parker a sense of guidance through his problems, and make him feel less guilty about losing Aunt May. 

The emotional impact is that this movie allows us to find comfort in the characters in the movie. When we see Peter fall into destinies he can’t change or when we see him lose another parental figure, we just don’t see his pain, we feel his pain. 

I felt a connection to all of the Peters, all doing what they love most together, science. It was a really beautiful and important scene in the movie when they all connect in not just their names but their likings.

“It’s the best movie created by the Marvel Cinematic Universe,” Mariana Orozco Lopez, a freshman at Harrison High School, stated. “Zendaya’s acting was done extremely well.” 

“I really enjoyed the film,”  Elita Robertson, also a freshman at Harrison High School added on. “I just wished that the two previous Spider-Man movies were able to set up the plot a bit more.”

Spiderman – No Way Home broke much-deserved records not just with its trailer, but with the box office sales. This extraordinary movie will and should keep skyrocketing throughout the world. 

“With great power, comes great responsibility.”