The Student News Site of Harrison High School

The Husky Herald

The Husky Herald

The Husky Herald

A Look Into Harrison High School’s Writing Center
Annelise SerpaMay 9, 2024

As a writer, one can find oneself staring dreadfully long at the blinking cursor on a screen, being taunted by the feeling of being stuck...

Newest Commodor: Harley was accepted to Vanderbilt University and will be attending next year.
Make Your Own Time
Harley Dichter, Student Contributor • February 8, 2022

“Of my daughters, I know that you’ll appreciate this the most,” my mom said as she handed me a brightly-colored wall calendar decorated...

Ironman: How Far Can One Push Themself?

Ironman: How Far Can One Push Themself?

The Ironman Challenge is a triathlon consisting of a 2.4-mile swim, a 112-mile bicycle ride, and a marathon to run afterward. The World Triathlon Corporation states the race is about 140.6 miles long. It seems impossible, yet thousands of people still complete it. But, is an Ironman a healthy thing to put your body through? Well, the short answer is no. If you were to wake up one day and decide that you were going to run an Ironman race your body would suffer due to a lack of preparation, but if you dedicate time to training and get your body into peak condition then sure, it will have a positive effect on your body. Still, side effects are present because you do have to swim for two miles in the race.  Your body will have trouble adjusting to the cold.  Mr. Brill, an english teacher at Harrison High School went ahead and completed the Ironman challenge.  His commitment and difficulties could be summed up by him stating, “The hardest part was a day-to-day grind, staying disciplined, and staying consistent is the key to it, days I was up running at four o’clock in the morning and I would put in you a two-hour run before I got in the car and drove an hour to work.”  Like many who also completed this task, he spent quite some time preparing for the large task he had to complete as it took a large toll on his body.

However, not all people focus on the negative effects of the Ironman.  As Mr. Brill previously stated, he certainly had a blast doing the challenge.  You could say the rewards beat the time and dedication required in preparation for it. There are various positive effects of the Ironman. It takes a lot of exercise just to reach your maximum effort. You will get fit, and gain confidence, and it gives you an excuse not to go to work the next morning! On the physical side, you would be likely to have lower blood pressure, less risk of CVA and MI, improved insulin sensitivity, less risk of diabetes, increased bone density, and thus less risk of osteoporosis. Due to these reasons, not only will you complete an amazing achievement, but you also get to stay healthy. On the mental health side, you grow as a person.  A better image of yourself in your head relieves stress and anxiety, and just overall makes you a better person.  Just think about it, a long grueling race has just been completed by you!

So, while the Iron Man triathlon has various effects on the human body both physically and mentally, its benefits could potentially outweigh its downsides.  Some people put themself through it, others are too afraid.  It takes a lot of work to prepare and even more to recover.  Although Harrison High School’s own English teacher was able to complete it, having a decent amount of fun while completing it.  Also, it’s worth mentioning, hundreds of people take on and overcome the event each year, with even the hosts themselves saying, “Anything is Possible ”.  Next time you think of a grueling event like this one, remember, there’s always pros and cons to each side.