The Student News Site of Harrison High School

The Husky Herald

The Husky Herald

The Husky Herald

A Look Into Harrison High School’s Writing Center
Annelise SerpaMay 9, 2024

As a writer, one can find oneself staring dreadfully long at the blinking cursor on a screen, being taunted by the feeling of being stuck...

Newest Commodor: Harley was accepted to Vanderbilt University and will be attending next year.
Make Your Own Time
Harley Dichter, Student Contributor • February 8, 2022

“Of my daughters, I know that you’ll appreciate this the most,” my mom said as she handed me a brightly-colored wall calendar decorated...

The Husky Herald Paid a Visit to the Newest Addition to the Math Department

A Quick Interview With HHS’ New Math Teacher, Mr. Adams!

Mr. Adams is one of the newest members of the math department. Mr. Adams teaches Geometry, Trigonometry, and Algebra 1 classes throughout the day. He has been here since September, and has made a positive long-lasting impact on his students. Students have described him as helpful, funny, and overall just a very kind person. Ms. Criniti, a fellow math teacher described working with Mr. Adams as, “A pleasure. He brings lots of positive energy, and useful instructional strategies to the math classrooms.” 

Read down below to learn more about the newest beloved math teacher describe his life in his own words.

NOC: Why did you want to become a math teacher?

RA: When I was growing up in high school, I didn’t like math. In college, I had a professor who taught math in a way that made me understand it better. I realized that math wasn’t that bad. He inspired me to be the math teacher I feel that everyone deserves. He was my greatest inspiration and he made me realize that math is something that you need to practice. I try to send that message to my students. 

NOC: Did you consider any other careers?

RA: I wanted to be a lawyer. I took an internship and I realized that law isn’t what they make it seem on television. It wasn’t for me.

NOC: How do you like it here at Harrison?

RA: I love it. Everyone is so friendly, the staff is so friendly and willing to help. Being a new teacher there is a lot to learn, but everyone is willing to ask if I need anything. I have no complaints. The students here all want to be better and are willing to try. That’s all I can ask for as a teacher. 

NOC: Have you worked at any other schools?

RA: I worked in the Bronx at World View High School. I had a good experience. I was only there for a few years. I learned a lot from my former colleagues. They helped shape me to become the teacher I am today. 

NOC: Have you faced any major challenges so far in your life?

RA: I think in college. There have been classes that have been more challenging than others. They’ve made me want to stop what I’ve been doing and it made me realize that in life there will be speed bumps that you will have to persevere through. 

NOC: What advice do you have for high school students at HHS?

RA: “ My biggest advice is to persevere. It may seem tough now but if you keep going, keep studying, and keep trying then eventually you will get it. Don’t give up.

NOC:  What are some of your goals within the near future

RA: “My short-term goal here at Harrison is to learn the Harrison way.” “My long-term goal is to explore the world with my kids.”

NOC: What is one teaching philosophy you live by?

RA: I believe that all students are able to succeed as long as they have access to the curriculum. It is a team effort between the student and the teacher. As long as we are able to meet each other halfway we can overcome any struggles.

It is evident that Mr. Adams lives by that teaching philosophy as students have remarked that he is “very patient, nice, and explains math in an easy way that helps me understand it.”