Harrison’s Men’s Soccer Team Shows Promise Despite a Tough Stretch

Ben Ptashnik, Staff Writer

While Harrison’s men’s soccer team started the season strongly with a 5-2 record, they have now lost two out of their last three games. Just past midway through the regular season the team is currently sitting at 6-4. After talking with coach Alejandro, this was a goal they were hoping to achieve. Coming off a big bounce-back win with a score of 2-0 over Pelham Memorial, there are now just six games remaining. The Huskies just need to win two games out of six to clinch a playoff spot. 

With the team’s early season success there is plenty to celebrate right now; however, team captain Sam Cohen may think differently. I talked to Sam about the team’s success and he believes that they’ve been playing well, but have many easy matchups. Sam thinks the tough part of the schedule is ahead of them. Knowing that they have some difficult matchups ahead of them, he commented, “I think we played a lot of teams that are very easy to beat and going forward playing these harder teams we really have to work together to win.” Getting to the playoffs is definitely on Captain Cohen’s mind, saying that “the goal is to get home field advantage” and then once you are in the playoffs anything can happen. 

Coach Alejandro also has that mindset, offering that  “once you are in the playoffs anything can happen if you peak at the right time.” This seems to be what he will be reinforcing to his players as they get closer and closer to the playoffs.

While talking to the coach about the strengths of this team, both he and sophomore Zac Foster have the same idea that the combined power has been the team’s bond and relationships. Foster commented, “The strengths for my team is our bonding as we all get together really well and create good relationships.” This is something that many teams don’t have and it goes beyond on the field. Having a bond like this can positively affect how the team plays together.

A couple of our own Huskies have been acknowledged on lohud for some highlights. Sophomore Zac Foster was posted on September 9 for a 30-yard blast he had in a 4-0 win against Walter Panas. Junior Braiden Sottile was also posted on September 12 for a goal he had where he got past multiple defenders.

The Huskies are now getting ready for a big rivalry game on Friday, September 30 against Rye without home-field advantage. Huskies are hoping to use their strengths by playing well together to get the win.

*Photo of Braiden Scottile from Sam Cohen.